Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Watchmaker Analogy

I remember in one of the Darwin Anniversary Lectures from CELS last year, some geneticist quoted William Paley.

So I googled him. Fine, call me nerdy then -___-

He once wrote in his book:

"...But suppose I had found a watch upon the ground, and it should be inquired how the watch happened to be in that place; I should hardly think of the answer I had before given, that for anything I knew, the watch might have always been there. (wtf. so long. might as well check out youtube..)There must have existed, at some time, and at some place or other, an artificer or artificers, who formed [the watch] for the purpose which we find it actually to answer; who comprehended its construction, and designed its use..."


This is called the watchmaker analogy:

In more simple terms, we find a watch on the ground. We start to assume that there are greater things that intelligently created such a fine device, like a watchmaker.


But the thing is.
You never saw the watchmaker.
You never saw him tinkering away with his tools.
Or piling on screws and junk to create such an intelligent device.
We base our knowledge on pure faith that the watchmaker is out there somewhere.

What about nature?
We see nature.
Can we not safely assume that nature was created by someone with great authority as well?

We have such a strong mindset that everything has a beginning and an end. That nothing is timeless, nothing can escape destruction. We live our lives everyday to experience the joys of birth and the sorrows of death, but we don't realize that birth nor death applies to the Lord, because He's not part of nature.

He created it.

So no matter what religion, have faith that He's out there somewhere for He created the wonderful world that we live in. :)

p.s. why are my posts getting more and more religion-based?! No freakin idea.

No comments: