Sunday, May 24, 2009

Biology and its Roots

I'm like so behind schedule, I see my friends studying like mad, and I'm here blogging away... it's not that I'm smart or anything. I bet it's gonna take me more than 6 hours to understand this whole genetics thing.

I can't imagine stuff, like how Founder's effect can cause a limitation of gene pool, or how the Hardy Weinberg Theorum can predict the number of recessive alleles with ONLY having the number of homozygous dominant people, or being able to argue about eugenics and the positive and negative effects of it. It's just too hard for me, CELS is making me go crazy.

On the other hand, we have Anatomy and Physiology. Simple. Realistic. USEFUL. I can picture how the skull would look like if you tell me the axis of dissection. I can tell you how the anterior tibialis causes dorsiflexion of the ankle. I can tell you the exact position of rectus intermedialis and where are the points of contact with bone.
It convinces me that Anatomy is a real subject. People tell you that there is a deltoid muscle sitting near your pectoral girdle, and *poof* you magically feel the big muscle lump. One HUBS lecturer told me that the best about HUBS is that you are the "subject material", you are the "cheat sheet" for the exam. The cervical verterbras, do they curve inwards or outwards? You then feel the back of your neck, and presto! they curve outwards.
As for chromosomes, you can't touch them, you can't pull out strands of genes or DNA like tangled wire.

I don't know. Maybe me being so screwed up on Genetics is starting to takes its toll.

p.s. mind the grammar. no mood to form perfect sentences in my head. Speaking of English, I have a test on Thurs. Gah!

No comments: