Sunday, August 4, 2013

Isn't she lovely, isn't she wonderful~


Thanks to Stevie Wonder, every time I see a baby born I'm singing in my head like an idiot.This is hands down the busiest run ever. Over the weeks I've been battered with 2000 word assignments and 20 minute presentations. Just yesterday I submitted 5 assignments and 4 forms, along with my BMedSc(Hons) application. And tomorrow I'm hitching a ride to Invercargill for a 9 day Obs and Gynae attachment before the end-of-run OSCEs and MCQs.

The experiences have been memorable so far. My first attempt at changing a baby's diapers and cleaning poo. My first attempt in doing a baby check. My first attempt holding a newborn. I've also manage to perform my first speculum exam, which is shocking because I've done 6 months of GP and cervical smears are done all the time. I think for first-timers like me, initial embarrassment is a huge problem. My immediate response would be nervous laughter while pretending to act all cool and calm but inside I'm (&#@&%#*&#@.

Anyways, four pointers to take away from this run:

1. When an O&G consultant asks you a question, the answer is "transvaginal ultrasound" or "betaHcG".
2. When a Paediatric consultant asks you a question, the answer is "antibiotics"
3. Never ever do your assignments last minute.
4. Childbirth is ugly




3 comments:

Albatross said...

Nothing prettier than the moment the head pops out and you're looking at a two-headed creature haha

Seb said...

haha you mean twins. I can't believe i still have readers :P

Anonymous said...

No i mean when the head is out and things just look freaky.. but then the whole body slips through and you clean the baby and she's beautiful